Cashews are essential to making vegan creamy sauces. In order to achieve that soft creamy consistency cashews need to be soaked. Depending on how much time you’ve got, there are three different ways to soak cashews.
- Soak cashews overnight
- Soak cashews in warm water for two hours
- Boil cashews
Soak Cashews Overnight
This is the best method to use to keep the cashews raw, meaning to make them soft without needing to cook them.
By soaking overnight the cashews absorb the water and become soft. Which makes them the perfect texture to make raw cashew cremas or sauces.
This is also the best way to bring out the sweetness of cashews as well while preserving the nutrients.
This would also be the raw version of using cashews. Eating raw means to consume food in its natural form without the use of temperature for manipulation. Many suggest that cooking (certain fruits and veggies) kills important enzymes and nutrients. This would only hold true though if you’re soaking raw unpasteurized cashews.
- Place the cashews in a container.
- Fill the container with room temp water until the cashews are fully submerged.
- Allow the cashews to soak overnight.
- Cashews can stay soaking for 1-3 days. Any longer and the water becomes slimy
Soak Cashews In Warm Water for Two Hours
This is the best method to use if you’ve got some extra time on your hands. For example, set the cashews to soak before picking up the kids from school. Once you’re back home start to set up your mise for dinner and by then the cashews should be done soaking.
- Add cashews to a large bowl.
- Use warm water to submerge the cashews in water.
- Allow the cashews to soak for 2 hours.
- The bowl can be left uncovered on the counter
This is the best method to use if you need soaked cashews on the fly (kitchen term for ASAP).
This is the best method to use if you don’t have the time to soak them. This is another method to soften cashews and get them to a smooth creamy consistency. By boiling the cashews some of the flavor will be cooked out, compared to if soaked overnight. Be sure to note that when boiling cashews, some of the nutrients are lost. If this is a concern, or if you are following a raw vegan diet, be sure to soak instead of boiling.
- Place cashews in a pot filled with water. Be sure there is enough water for the cashews to be submerged.
- Bring the water to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.
If you tried one of our recipes or found our articles helpful, let us know in the comments below how it turned out!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. Take a picture of your creations and tag us using #cookingupvegan.
Luna & Nate